Sunday, March 1, 2009

Sweet 16

Okay. This is so late, i know.
But just so you know, world, that on February 26, 2009, Paddy and I have been going out for
SIXTEEN GREAT,AMAZING AND FANTASTIC MONTHS.
And I'm an incredibly happy girl.
That's all.
:]


I had to do a paper for Soc. Sci 3 on the ABCDE's of love/relationships (Attraction, Building, Continuation, Deterioration, Ending). It was due on Feb. 26 as well. How fitting.
Here it is. :)


ABC…DE?

Attraction

On the first day of class, freshman year, a good-looking boy classmate of mine was made to introduce himself by demonstrating, step-by-step, how one eats at the cafeteria. Never having had the chance to talk to him before, I never realized what a good English speaker he was. He spoke it fluently and with a great accent to boot. That was a big bonus! He was pretty good-looking too. By the time the first months of classes were over, quite a number of the higher years were already eyeing him. I knew I didn’t have a shot. I told myself he’d never go for me anyway. My proof? During tech class (this is still in first year) my guy classmates decided to quiz him on which girls in class he found attractive. He would either nod affirmatively or shake his head. I’m not exaggerating this, but since I was at that table (the only girl there, mind you), I was the last to be mentioned, maybe because they forgot I was a girl. I strongly opposed being judged! Everyone was waiting for his answer, but it didn’t take long since at the mention of my name, he almost immediately shook his head furiously! Imagine the nerve! That bastard! Needless to say, I was hell bent on ruining his life or some variation of that. I remember seeing him in school at one point (and he was looking pretty cute then), my friend and I said “Sayang, cute sana siya, kung hindi lang siya gago.”

Fast forward three years, senior year. Despite what happened in first year, we slowly became friends and by senior year, we were best friends. He would tell me all about his crushes, the girls he was going out with. These girls happened to be my friends. And I admit to being the least good-looking one in the group. It sucks being friends with good-looking people since you’re almost always over-looked and guys are bound to use you to get to them. I was okay with that set-up I guess. I’d get his crush (my roommate!) to be his prom date and stuff like that. We were best friends. Period. Then one day, the school paper decided to have a hottest couple on campus survey.

I laughingly nominated us, thinking I’d be the only one to vote for us anyway. As it turns out, we have a larger fan-base than I imagined. We got second place! Second only to the prom king and prom queen tandem (Yes, they were going out, surprise, surprise). Apparently other students noticed we had some kind of chemistry. After that I began noticing him more than just as a friend and I think he felt the same way. During one of our field trips, my friend told me he liked me. I didn’t believe her, so I decided to go up to him and ask him if he did. I was never able to ask him and I ended up running back to my room, frustrated at myself. He didn’t even go after me!

After one hour, there was a knock on our door. It was him, in the rain, and he told me yes, he liked me. More than as a friend. I stood there dumbfounded and unbelieving.

Building

We started hanging out as “more than friends but not really a couple”. It was hard to place a line since way back then we were already hanging out. We were best friends after all. There was no formal courtship thing. I knew him inside out anyway. We were both playing it coy, watching movies, trying to hold hands, blah, blah, blah. Then one day, we both kind of got fed up and we ended up kissing.

Continuation

Nine days later, he gave me his dog tags and asked me to be his girlfriend. I said yes. We started going on dates, telling our parents and friends. We were a couple now! My first boyfriend! I was his first as well. This went on for three months.

Deterioration

Three months later, I realized I wanted to get back together with an old flame. He gave me a week to decide for sure. I was sure. I knew I wasn’t perfectly happy.

Ending

I said goodbye. I told him I needed to sort things out with myself first. The “old flame” was a good friend. He told me we weren’t going to work out. “Go back to him” he told me. I didn’t want to. I wasn’t happy.

Today, it’s been 16 months since Patrick Fortunato asked me to be his that night of October. We’re together again after that unnecessary end. We’ve had lots of fights, arguments, break-ups, but I always end up running back to him. And he’d wait. He’d always wait for me with open arms. I’m happy he never gave up. Not once. I’ve met his family and we’ve spent vacations at each other’s houses with each other’s families. We’re very happy.

The old flame? I think he’s going out with someone else. We’re good friends.



******

I'm sorry I broke up with you then.

I love you, babe.

No comments: