Thursday, November 13, 2008

79 and proud.


Number one:

I am currently taking Soc. Sci. 3. That's a Gender and Sexuality class. No regrets here. I actually like it. Today, we were asked by our teacher to write the first thing that came to out head whenever we hear the word sex. I wrote down "KIDS.". As an afterthought, I added "and Juno" to it. This is is really true, I mean, as soon as she said "Sex." I automatically had flashbacks of single-moms, crying children, and me with a huge belly. Then Juno. I don't know how the heck it ended up like that but pregnancy scares the shit out of me.

We had homework for that class too. We had to answer the Sexual Opinion Survey. This survey will give you a rough estimate on how erotophobic or erotophilic you are. The middle ground of the spectrum is 63 ( (erotophobic) 0 - 126(erotophilic) ). Take note though, being erotophilic does not mean in anyway that you are some sort of sex addict. It only means that you are more open to talk about sex. Being erotophobic does not imply that you run away, screaming whenever there are sexual things involved. It means that you are pretty reserved about the topic and that the topic of sex brings you anxiety of some sort. My score? 79. Fairly erotophilic.

I was surprised with my score. The first time, I got a score of 84. But after retaking the darned survey three times, I got 79 as my final score. The class, today, was asked to line up in order of the score. From highest to the lowest SOS score. We have a Safe Space Rule so I can't really tell you how my classmates fared. I can,however, reveal that I was pretty much among the top 15 people who got the highest scores in class. I guess I'm pretty open to it. I hope this doesn't mean anything bad in any way. I'm actually pretty proud of myself. You see, studies showed that erotophilic people tend to have higher chances of having unplanned pregnancies.

What? If they're erotophilic, how the heck do they end up having unplanned pregnancies? The study conducted did a test on several male college students. They were asked to answer the survey and as it turned out, the erotophobic men had a hard time buying condoms as compared to the erotophilic ones. The study also showed that erotophilic women were more likely to breast feed their children. This is because they do not feel discomfort in exposing themselves if the need arises.

Number two:

I've decided to let the RH Bill thing go. And I've decided at last on what side I am on.

And I'm for it. Period.

Why? Well. The RH Bill had it's good effects on me. After reading all about the bill, I was able to gain much information on family planning, teenage pregnancies, abortions and the like. I was made aware of the horrid consequences of irresponsible sex. Contrary to popular belief, reading about sexuality and being educated about it made me more vigilant in saving sex for marriage. I am aware of it's consequences and I do not think I'm ready for them. I'm not willing to have everything I have for me go down the drain. I don't like the thought of having an abortion. I know I have the choice on what to say yes or no to.





There you go. I know sex. I've read about it. And I know it's not something that should be taken irresponsibly or lightly. As human beings I know it's natural for us to have desires and whatnot. I'm not against that. Whatever others decide, it's up to them. But I know where I stand.

No comments: